Monday, November 3, 2008

Here I go again....

www.exposurespro.com


I will be shooting weddings in Northern California, from the Greater Sacramento area to the Bay area! Of course that will be my concentration, but I will also be shooting portraits, especially of kids. So if your looking for a wedding photographer or portrait photographer in the area, please visit my website.Here’s a little back story of how I got to where I am today…For awhile I’ve been thinking to myself “I miss taking pictures, especially weddings”. Doing the work that I am doing (training work for Canon) I run into my fair share if professional photographers. Each time I do it just reminds me of how much I miss actually being behind the lens in that fashion. Sure, I never quit taking pictures (something would definitely be wrong with me if I did!), but not in the aspect of creating something for a client. I really miss that aspect of being creative, processing my work, and coming up with an end product that I know people will be excited and happy with.So, one day I just decided to make it happen. I remember a long time ago, when I ran my business back in the Washington D.C. area, I used a program called Swish to make a website for my company. So, back to the drawing board. One problem….due to a series of unfortunate decisions and events, I don’t have any real images from all the different things I’ve photographed in my “past” life! I either left behind or threw away a lot of stuff that I should have kept. The little I did keep was stored in the basement of my first house in Oakland, where I was to learn all about Northern California’s “winters” of non-stop rain. What happened was my basement flooded, and sure enough what was left of my “portfolio” was ruined. Not a single image could be kept! So essentially that part of my life was washed away (literally!).Well, I was a little lucky to find scraps left on CD, mind you VERY low resolution of some random images that I might be able to salvage at least on my website. My first step was to produce my website, which I did. It’s not exactly what I want, but it’s a decent start. Here is a screen shot:







Next came choosing a domain name. Wow! If you have ever tried to register a domain name using common words, then you know (like I do now) that they are ALL taken! The closest I could come up with to my company name (Exposures Photography) was exposurespro.com. Not my first choice, nor my second, but it will work for me I think. I was extremely proud of myself for designing and launching my website. It meant I was THAT much closer to accomplishing something that I always knew I could do.I made my business website, next my business cards, and a whole slew of other material for my business. That part comes easy for me, but how do I book clients for a wedding in November? How do I book weddings when I have so little to show perspective clients that I am an extremely capable photographer? Well, I’m now searching for weddings that I will shoot for free (yes, i know, it’s a GOOD price!). But not just any wedding of course, I need the wedding to have your standard wedding moments, i.e. contain all those moments so that I can capture them and create my wedding album samples and of course, more material to put on my websiteOh ya! I’ve already got one couple, Danica and Justin of Rocklin California. I’m excited to shoot their wedding on November 29th. I’ve also been contacted by another couple however their wedding date is just too far away. But it’s happening, slowly but surely. I’ll be up to my neck in weddings here soon!So, welcome to my blog, where I will be ranting and raving about all my dealings with starting and running my company.

2 comments:

All Blog Spots said...

Hello, I read your story and its intresting. Wow…what a wonderful writing style. Looking forward to reading more from you. I do enjoy your posts, though! You could be submit your stories on free submission Directory.

I'm glad you came to my blog,

Have a great day!

Renee Marquis Photography said...

Really enjoyed checking out your blog and your images! You have some amazing images up!
~Renee